The City of Bowie Transportation Services
A lift-equipped bus is available for those in need. Please, let staff know of the need for a lift-equipped van when making a transportation appointment. A minimal $1 fee each way is required.
Through the Center, the City of Bowie offers a variety of transportation services within the city limits.
These services are available for individuals 55 years and older and, in some cases, younger adults with disabilities.
• Transportation from home to the Center Monday through Friday between 8:30 and 9:30 a.m. The return home trip leaves the Center at 2 p.m.
• Shuttle service from the Center to and from local shopping centers.
• Transportation from home to and from grocery stores.
• Transportation from home to and from medical appointments, shopping, Center activities, senior clubs, or other trips for seniors and younger adults with disabilities. This service is available on a priority basis only. Except for the shopping center shuttle service, all transportation services require a reservation 24 hours in advance by calling 301-809-2324 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. When calling, please let the staff know if a lift-equipped bus is necessary. A lunch meal delivery service is also available on weekdays for homebound seniors. Requests must be made to the Prince George’s County Department of Family Services by calling 301-265-8450.
Bus riders must be independent enough to get on and off the bus without assistance.
• Medical appointment transportation will arrive approximately 15 – 30 minutes prior to your appointment.
• Drivers are not permitted to enter any residence.• Upon arrival at a scheduled boarding location, the driver will sound the horn two or three times and wait 30 seconds and repeat the procedure two more times. If there is no response, the driver will call the Center to report a no-show. The Center will call the rider’s home. If there is no
answer, the driver will be directed to leave and continue the route.• A $1 fare for each boarding is requested.
The city offers transportation from home to and from medical appointments, shopping, Center activities, senior clubs, or other trips. This service is available on a priority basis for all senior Bowie residents and other adults with disabilities.
• Reservations are required 24 hours in advance by calling 301-809-2324 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. When calling, please let the staff know if a lift-equipped bus is necessary or if the passenger is on oxygen. Please call to cancel if the appointment is canceled.
• All appointments should be scheduled Monday though Friday between 10 and 11:30 a.m.
• Medical and general appointments are on a first-come-first-served basis. Medical appointments have priority over other appointments.
• Drivers are not permitted to enter any residence. A family member or escort is required to bring the wheelchair occupant to the curb and ride the bus if the wheelchair occupant is unable to operate the chair at the destination.
• When the appointment is over, please call the Center to arrange return transportation.
Shopping Shuttle Services
Shuttle services are available from the Center to a variety of area shopping centers on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. For a list of the current destinations, see the Center’s monthly newsletter. Shuttles depart at 10 and 11 a.m. and return to the Center upon completion of each loop.
Any Center member may use these shuttle services. Shoppers are to purchase only what they can safely carry in two shopping bags. Drivers may assist with carrying packages on and off the bus only.
Visit: MyActiveSenior.com for more senior resources.