Senior Connection is a local non-profit that provides an array of free services to Montgomery County, MD, residents aged 60+. From transportation services to grocery shopping assistance, we proudly have helped our neighbors for over 20 years and counting.
Senior Connection does not charge for services and funded in part by Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Aging and Disability; private foundations; faith communities; corporations; and individuals, value and support our efforts.
*Please note operating adjustments were made to this program due to COVID-19. Below details the Senior Rides Program under normal working conditions.**
Senior Rides is a free programmatic service which provides accompanied transportation support with our community volunteers; to medical appointments, social engagements, and other activities. To be eligible for this program, you must be a Montgomery County resident aged 60 or older. Applications are required for service.
PDF You may print out an application or print and mail a copy of our application (to be printed, mailed or faxed to our office)
What We Provide:
Up to Six (6) escorted round trips per month, per client to a pre-scheduled appointment. Acceptable appointments include:
- Medical appointment or follow-up visits
- Pharmacy for medication
- Senior activities and social events
- Religious observances
- Trips to the bank or post office
- Stores for grocery or other shopping
- Other appointments
What We Cannot Provide:
- Trips outside of Montgomery County.
- Transportation to anyone who does not meet the program eligibility requirements.
- Assistance with meals or meal preparation, eating, administering medications, bathing, toileting, dressing, grooming, laundry, cleaning or other services which do not fall within the program guidelines.
- Emergency transportation.
- Payment for anything purchased (groceries, prescriptions, parking, tolls, etc.). These are the client’s responsibility.
We ask that all clients abide by the following set of responsibilities.
- Call the office to schedule your trip requests in advance. We are currently booked 2-3 weeks in advance, so plan your trips accordingly. We accept requests up to TWO (2) MONTHS in advance.
- When making a trip request, be prepared with all of the information you need to relay to the coordinator, including the full address, date and time of the appointment and doctor’s name and phone number (if applicable.)
- When making a trip request, you MUST notify the office of any additional stops you need to make (pharmacy, bank, etc.) at the time of booking. Any additional stops NOT pre-booked may not be honored by the volunteer.
- If you need to cancel a trip, please contact the office immediately. Excessive cancellations may result in dismissal from the program.
- We recommend that you use our service for transportation close to your home whenever possible. Volunteers are more willing to do short trips rather than travel across the county.
- Schedule your appointment between 10:00am-3:00pm to offer the best opportunity for finding a volunteer.
- Trip requests are for travel within Montgomery County only.
- Be prepared to depart at the requested pick up time or meeting time.
- Parking fees, tolls, and any purchases are your responsibility.
- If you have a portable MVA-issued handicapped/disabled placard, please bring it with you on your appointment date so the driver may park in handicap spaces.
3950 Ferrara Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20906, USA